Doesn't time fly? It's been a little while since our last post but, fear not, we're still here and cooking Hannah-friendly things! So, onto today's recipe. While we aren't quite as brave as some of the bloggers out there so won't be doing vegan January (or Veganuary), we do make an effort to be at least veggie a couple of times a week - it's good for us and helps us to be more creative. The no lactose restriction means that often our veggie-ness turns to vegan. This is a great vegan recipe of ours that we've been tinkering around with for a while and are now happy enough with it to share with you! These bean burgers are delicious and massively flavourful. Depending on the prevailing mood, the can be considered even better than the meaty alternatives. We don't want to overstate things, but they are super tasty - forget any insipid little thing you were palmed off with at a barbecue, this bean burger can hold its own. Plus they're really easy to make, all you need is a food processor. Alternatively, you can use a potato masher but the food processor is so much faster (and easier to wash afterwards). This recipe makes four patties, we usually cook two and freeze two ready for next time.
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 white onion
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- chopped coriander
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp breadcrumbs
1. Start with the kidney beans, red onion, white onion, grated carrot and garlic. Throw all these ingredients (chopping the onions into smaller pieces first) into a food processor and blitz until mostly combined.
2. Add in a handful of coriander, chilli powder and salt and blitz again.
3. Finally, add in the breadcrumbs and blitz again until the mixture starts to come together and feels slightly drier.
4. Carefully remove the mixture from the food processor and shape into four, even patties. Dip these in flour and leave in the fridge to set for at least 15 minutes.
5. Once you're ready to cook them, fry gently in a little oil for 3-4 minutes on each side. Enjoy in a burger bun with chips and salad.